BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Defining Moment



Bishop/Dr. Nathaniel J. Wilson's book "Ultimate Leadership: The Defining Moment" is an incredible resource for those who feel God's calling upon their lives. The journey to fulfill that calling is likened unto a ship called out into the deep or a man standing at the edge of a cliff. In both cases risk and decision are necessary to fulfill the calling. The deep is where we encounter the unkown, and where we learn to trust God. The cliff is dying not in real terms but killing our carnal desires. Before all of these decisions can be made, we must find ourselves desperate. We must be willing to sacrifice all for the vision God has placed in our lives. The Defining Moment may happen once or many times, and this moment forever changes our destiny. To not launch out into the deep means denying the calling of God, but to launch at the wrong time is also not the will of God. So how do we know when are facing this defining moment? Jesus said to Peter and Andrew come with me and I will make you fishers of men. That was there defining moment. Did they know who Jesus was? Did they know what it meant to be a fisher of men? Did they know the sacrifice of their time that would be required? The answers are no. Did they still go? Yes, they went and by doing so they experienced three years of ministry with Jesus, the one and only God and savior. They fulfilled the calling of God. So again how do we know? The answer is simple. When we pray God's voice becomes familiar. God will speak, and we must be sensitive and obediant.


After reading this book, I prayed for God to give me vision and purpose for my life. I already had the calling, but I needed the vision. I began to feel an intense burden to win souls. God began speaking to me about teaching Bible studies, mentoring, and praying with people at altar. As I began to do these things, God's vision for my life slowly began to unfold. The vision I began seeing was me starting a church in a city that does not know truth. I did not know how or when this would take place, but I knew God was preparing me for this task. Little did I know at this time my parents where feeling the same burden and calling. They also felt called to start a church. Doors would open and then they would close. We faced discouragement time after time. We thought God if this is your plan why is it so difficult. But God wanted His timing not ours. Then the beginning of July we got a call. Faith Tabernacle of Missoula, Montana needed a pastor. We got excited, but again the door closed or so we thought. My parents felt strongly about Missoula and after lots of prayer they decided this was the place. It was not even one day after that decision that the church decided they did want us. So we packed up and drove there. While driving I prayed "God this is what I have been praying for, I know this is the vision you gave me but Montana?" A spirit of depression, loneliness, and fear began to confuse and blur the vision God had given me. Now, two days of being back in Sacramento I realize this is my defining moment. Will I take the leap? Am I willing to give up friends, family, and a great church to fulfill my calling? Well, I can only answer yes. Fear and doubt may get in the way but I am still taking the leap. We are leaving in two weeks. We have a nice home already. This is my testimony but it is not finished. It is still waiting for the news of revival and great spiritual growth in Missoula, Montana!

7 comments:

James Wilder said...

The Official Announcement.
Rachel, I'm proud of you. This season of your life will be memories you have forever. Your maturity about this is above average. God called us to "GO"! (Mat 28:19)

Faith Maria Lopez said...

Rachel,

While reading this I definitely felt the God Factor and with tears in my eyes I want to say that I am so proud of who you are and who you have become. Our defining moments are all around us, we just have to be sensitive enough to the spirit to recognize them and embrace what God wants not what we want.
I love you super!

M

Anonymous said...

You have learned something at a young age that often takes other to learn about God's calling and ministry a long time to learn, and some never learn it. In your new adventure some will say don't let anything get you down, but the fact is we are human and things do get us down, just never stop getting back up again.

We will certainly miss you in BattleCry.

East Coast-er Momma said...

Wow, taking the leap. It's what happens to every Rock Churchian who really digs in...

Have an amazing journey.

Denise said...

The best is yet to unfolded. Wow, your post is moving. Thanks, I NEEDED TO HEAR THIS!

Rachel said...

To all commenters,

Thank you for your nice words. I am excited for what God is doing in this time, in our lives, and in this generation. Look out Devil!

Lorraine Bertram said...

Rachel,

What exciting news! Yes, we at one time had to jump out of the nest also. It is a 'bitter-sweet' time. I have no doubt that your family will be successful....Each of you have such a tenderness and real love for God. Along with helping others 'become', it will be so exciting watching God 'make' you. Keep a positive frame of mind even in the lonely times. Those lonely times are when God can mold you the best!!!

Much love!